Thursday, November 15, 2012

Blogworthiness

So. One year (give or take) since my last blog post and two years since starting a blog. I think of it often but in a recent period of life that has been, at best, humdrum, and at worst, a litany of minor and major sadnesses, I have simply felt that very few of my days were "blogworthy".

Then again, I probably had my bar set a bit high. The first blog I ever came across, way back when, was La Divina - Faux Fuchsia - who is blessed with all the Gods have to give in terms of family, humour, drive and a wardrobe that is what I imagine heaven to be like if I died having not committed too many fashion sins. Mine is a little more fly by the seat of your size 14 pants.

Jumbled
I was one of her first hundred followers with a long gone google id and from her discovered Mai Tai who makes my suburban love of Hermès look rather petites patates.

Orange
My next blogoddess was A-M from the House that A-M Built. Divine decor, an uncompromisingly positive attitude to life, even when threatened with a once in a lifetime flood. And two gorgeous boys to boot - where were boys that sweet when I was growing up! I make do with a two cats, a niece and a nephew.


And that was a good 20 years ago now, he has multiple piercings and tattoos these days. Sigh.

Then of course I discovered mega- bloggers like Sea of Shoes (no need for a link, surely, when you've featured in Vogues around the globe and parlayed your blog into an invitation to debut at Le Crillion. In Chanel.). Ohhhh to have been that cool at that age, and to have had the technology to capture it instead of Mum's trusty Kodak. Not to mention the availability of international labels at an age when I was not long graduated from Shetland knits and kilts.


My mother was also rather fond of taking photos on the diagonal.

So in contrast, I found it hard to think of anything that was worthy of a post. As a recovering perfectionist, my post also had to be witty, glamorous, laid back and homely all rolled into one. Which was probably aiming a bit high.

Anyway, today, laid up with the lurgy, I decided a good use of my time was to sort through a box of photos spanning three decades. And I found photos that I would love if I saw them on someone else's blog. There was me in London, already with the rebellious hair that I am known for and still fighting at 40

There's the lovely beach shot, back when I was 18 and carefree and the worst thing in the world was a boy not liking you, or not being able to fasten your size 8 jeans after an overly generous serve of pasta.

There were these two, from an 80s party held in 1999, who may or may not now be a highly respected corporate counsel and barrister respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment